Friday, October 8, 2010

Miike Snow Played Terminal 5 Last Night







As the trance played over the house speakers and the crowd waited for what seemed like an eternity for Miike Snow to take the stage I wondered what we were in store for. Never had I seen or heard such a build up for such a relatively new band, and I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about how long they delayed their emergence onto the stage. The people in the crowd were getting restless. They wanted Miike Snow on the stage right then, but they waited. And then, the blue lights hit the fog and the keys started. The overly dramatic drumming to start off the show set the tone for what was to be an epic evening, totally exceeded my expectations.

They took a page from Daft Punk’s book and came out in masks. Which, at first I thought was lame, but as they continued to melt my face, it became more and more clear that these guys were not going to let up. They never faltered, they delivered a total dance party with a heavy dose of drums and synths. At some points I swear I could feel them channeling the Talking Heads. I was just waiting from them to cover Burning Down The House. But, they never did. But, all that aside, I was completely taken aback by how on point they were.

They took liberties with each song, giving each one a new twist from their studio versions. Seamlessly linking together their tracks like a good DJ would. They played their remix of Vampire Weekend's "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance". The encore rendition of "Animal" is still giving me the chills. The LED vests they wore during the encore were a nice touch. Letting us know that in fact, there were 4 guys on stage the entire show. The lights were sick, a hue of blue with some Nantucket red thrown in with a lot of smoke and fog. The entire crowd moved in unison. I really can't say enough because I am still trying to process what actually happened. Just above and beyond the call of duty. Well played Mr. Snow, well played. Top shelf. Absolutely amazing show.

2 comments:

  1. The setlist was: Intro / Cult Logic / Burial / Black And Blue / A Horse Is Not A Home / Rabbit / Sylvia / Plastic Jungle / Sans Soleil / Animal.

    Encore:

    In Search Of / The Kids Don’t Stand a Chance (Vampire Weekend cover)

    ReplyDelete